Monday, November 15, 2010

Easy crochet baby blanket

Do you have a grandchild on the way, well a few months ago I did and I wanted to make something for my grandchild that would be heirloom quality and easy to crochet. I had plenty of crochet patterns for baby blankets but none that I could decipher as I was still a newbie.... some instructions were just too hard for me to understand. I did find this one however which works up so well, it looks like it is really complicated but really is so easy that once you get started  and get the hang of it you can crochet it while watching tv and not having to refer to the pattern all the time! Truly, if I can do this, so can you, it is a dream!

Finished size 35x35
Size G hook
15 oz Bernat Baby Softee yarn, gives the best results
extra for co-ordinating trim

Row 1: Chain 126, sc in 2nd ch from hook and across. Ch 1 turn
Row 2: (sc,ch3 3dc) in 1st sc, *skip 3 sc,(sc,ch3,3dc)in next sc,Rep*across to last 4sc, skip next 3 sc, sc in last sc. ( 31 shells complete )

Row 3: Ch 3 turn, 3 dc in 1st sc, ( sc, ch 3, 3 dc) in each ch-sp across, ending with sc in last space.

Repeat row 3 approximately 55 rows.

Last row: Ch 3, tur, 2 sc in ch-sp,*sc in sc, sc in next dc,skip next dc, sc in next dc, sc in next ch-sp. Repeat from * across to last shell, do not skip middle dc of last of  shell. (123 shells across)

Trim
I did 3 rows of single crochet and did a shell trim variation of my own as I did not understand the instructions given, however I will list them just in case you can make out how to do it, I did not!

Working in rounds
 Rnd 1: Ch 1 turn, 3sc in 1st sc(( *sc in each sc, rep* across, 3sc in ladt sc,*( 3 sc in ch-sp,sc in sc) rep across,working in free loops of beginning chain, 3sc in 1st ch,sc in each ch across)) 3 sc in last, Rep * around, last round rep between (( )) Changing colors here if using contrasting colors)

Rnd 2-3 with contrasting trim, ch 1, sc around with 3 sc in corners, sl st.
Rnd 4  Ch 2, do not turn,*skip sc,sc,ch 2, rep* around sl st in 1st sc.

Rnd 5 Ch 1, turn, sc in sl st, *sc in ch-sp, sc in sc around with 3 sc in corners, Rep* around

Rnd 6: Ch 1, turn,*( sc, ch 3, 3dc) skip 3sc, rep* around sl st to 1st sc. finish off

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment