Wednesday, December 15, 2010

everybody love raymond braciole

remember the braciole episode? yea I know I watch a lot of TV, sometimes I act like my life is a sitcom, it helps me get through the day on bad days! I keep telling myself I  need to get to the mall with my husband who is part of the mall walkers, but who gets up that early? I can't except when I can't sleep anymore but I digress. The braciole episode.. debra makes the  braciole whose recipe she got from a magazine amd Marie is livid because Frank loves Debra's braciole. I love Frank!  RIP Frank. 

This looks like it's complicated but what the heck, but I want to know what all the fuss is about, don't you.?  For many years I cooked only supposedly healthy boring things because I told myself I was dieting and I could not eat anything really good with sauces.. you know, it felt as if I was wearing a dietary  hair shirt.. I mean my husband travelled extensively and  I was home with my two boys and basically I cooked just  so called healthy boring food. So I never actually learned how to cook all the great food that is part of my Italian heritage . So I find myself curious to try to make all the great tasting food out there. Hence my desire to prepare braciole, they made such a duss about it on the show so I want to try my hand at it.


Braciole recipe

1 lb boneless beef top  round -- trimmed of fat and cut into 4 thin slices
4 thin slices of prosciutto
1 thick slice provolone cheese about 2 oz. cut into 4 equal pieces.
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 tbsp currants or raisins
1 clove garlic chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
1 cup dry red wine
4 large tomatoes peel, seeded and chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
3 fresh basil leaves- torn into small pieces 3 or 4
kitchen string
plastic wrap
Place the meat slices between2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound with a meat mallet until 1/4 inch thick.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper

Lay a slice of prosciutto and a peice of cheese on each one.
Sprinkle with a few pine nuts currants and garlic. Roll up the s;ices, tucking in the ends. Tie the rolls at 1 inch intervals with litchen string.

In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat, add the beef rolls and cook, turning as needed until browned on all sides about 15 minutes.

Add the onion and cook stu=irring occasionally until tender about 5 minutes longer.

Add the wine and cook until most of the liquid evaporates about 2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and  sprinkle with salt and pepper, reduce heat to low, cover  and simmer, turning the rolls occasionally until the beef is tender when pierced with a knife. about 2 hours, check from time to time to see if sauce is becoming too dry, add a little water if needed.

Uncover, scatter parsley and basil evenly over the rolls and cook 2 minutes longer. Transfer to plates and spoon sauce over top and serve.
==================================
**************************************

This looks good, doesn't it, I would serve some crusty italian bread with this for soaking up all the sauce, yum. And... some  sliced oven baked potatoes with olive oil, garlic and rosemary.... I figured something easy would be helpful as the brasciole take a while, right.  Perhaps a spinach salad would be nice too. Trying to keep it healthy and nutritious ( I've noticed lately that I don't spell as well as I used to, what is that,  I used to be a spelling bee queen!)
P.S.

If you  try this, leave me a comment and let me know how it turned out for you. tata
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment