Friday, December 17, 2010

traditional tourtiere

christmas is almost here, and although I'm trying to stop thinking of food, I have the need more than ever to feed my family and friends, I don't know what it is, my  son tells me not to cook so much but I don't feel that I do, granted he his referring to when the kitchen looks like a bomb hit it and I am too tired to clean up everything. I can't say that I blame him though, but right up until the last moment I will invariably  be tempted to try a new recipe. this is not last minute though  as I have been wanting to make these for a long time.It is a time honored tradition in Quebec,  these tourtieres, there are as many recipes out there as there are people, I guess. my hubby loves tourtiere   and so do I, if it's well made and not too heavy with lard in the crust. anyway I am not making my own crusts this time, I  need  to save some time and most of my sanity.

tourtiere filling

2 lb lean ground pork
1 1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
3 cups sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup finely chopped celery
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 onions finely chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each pepper, dried savory and thyme
1/4 tsp each ground cloves, cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 egg yolk

cook potato about 12 minutes, drain and mash, set aside.
in deep skillet cook pork over medium high heat mashing with a fork until no longer pink about 8 min, drain of fat.
add mushrooms, celery, stock,onions, garlic salt, pepper savory, thyme cloves,cinamon, and bay leaf.
bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until alomost no liquid remains about 25 minutes. discard bay leaf, mix in potatoes. let cool.

spoon into the filling, brush pie rim with water cover with top crust and press edge to seal. trim and flute.
brust with egg yolk bake at 400 degrees for 50 min on bottom third of oven.

joyeux noel

1 comment:

  1. made this today, the recipe makes 2 pies. the tourtiere is verytasty but in a delicate way, the spices are not overpowering..

    ReplyDelete